Saturday, October 9, 2010

{split pea soup and fall}



It finally feels like fall :) The weather has cooled down a bit and it's not blazing hot anymore. If you were sitting in my house right how you would hear a baby coo-ing, veggies tales on in the background, and soup simmering on the stove. If I do say so myself my split pea soup smells SOOO good! I'm dying to try it tonight! We might have my bro in law over and we are watching our friends kiddos for the weekend. Been cleaning the house most of the day but it still feels kinda dirty. I am in DESPERATE need of a shower and can't wait for Nicolai to get home so I can clean up! Ah!...This was all accurate about a week ago :) Kinda forgot I started writing it. Anyway I had planned to share my split pea soup recipe. It is super yummy. I went to Whole Foods to get groceries and asked the butcher for a ham hock, but they didn't have any so I got a shank instead. It worked well! So try this out cuz its perfect comfy cozy fall food :)

Split Pea Soup

  • 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic (6 cloves)
  • 1 ham shank (7 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 1 pound split peas
  • 8 cups chicken stock, plus more if needed

Directions 

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 9 minutes. Add garlic, ham, and 1 teaspoon salt, and cook for 3 minutes. Add split peas, and chicken stock.Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are completely tender and begin to fall apart, 50 to 55 minutes. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. (Soup will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days. Warm over low heat, and thin with water to desired consistency if necessary. You can also put soup in a freezer bag and lay flat in the freezer.) A few way to make this recipe even easier....1. I buy a package of Mirepoix. (pre-chopped carrots celery and onion) but I also add extra onion cuz the tub isn't super big. I also use a chicken stock concentrate from Trader Joes instead of canned chicken stock. Try it, it's great!  

Happy Fall! :)
ali <3

No comments:

Post a Comment