Monday, August 9, 2010

{black bean soup}

 
{One of my favorite stand by dinners has become black bean soup...oh yeah! It is so good! I know soup is sort of a weird recipe to share in the summertime but...#1 I could eat soup everyday for the rest of my life and that would be alright with me...#2 I'm really looking forward to fall and winter <3....and #3 Here in northern Ca it has been totally anti summer...cold, foggy, misty, dreary, what the!...Its been really weird.  I also love this recipe because its cheap to make and easy. We are trying to be more conscious of our budget so cheap meals are our friend.
I'm pretty free style about the way I make a lot of things so I'll try to write this out as recipe-ish as possible.}

{What you will need}
2-3 cans of black beans (and I like to rise them before use..too starchy otherwise)
4-5 cups of chicken broth (I found this delish concentrate at Trader Joes..I'll share later)
2-3 onions
a fat dollop of crushed garlic
some veggies (my favorites are zucchini and corn but anything will work)
olive oil
you can use a ham hock also if you like..I don't cuz I never have a ham hock!

{Ok so..drizzle some olive oil into a big pot and heat on medium heat..drop in onions and garlic and cook until the onion turns clear-ish. Dump in your chicken broth and beans. Bring to a boil. Then drop in the veggies. I like to put in frozen corn and finely chopped zucchini. It thickens it up and adds so nutrition. Cook a little while longer. Then blend it up. sometimes Ill leave maybe a quarter of the soup unblended for a little texture. It's up to you though. Serve with sour cream or I use nonfat greek yogurt! (totally tastes the same and way better for you!) and some shredded cheese..I use mexican blend.}
Hope you like it!
ali <3


3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on eating soup everyday. Yum! I'm going to have to try this recipe. Looks delicious!

    Where in NorCA are you? I'm guessing by the bay, because our weather has been hot! :) I'm in Chico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written this post this week...and almost did! (My friend giggled as I took photos of my soup.) I have been trying so many types of fresh veggie soups and then coming home to make them. It is freezing outside and inside! (I type this with a hoodie and scarf on) Just had black bean soup this Sat for the first time. It was vegan and more of a smooth puree with slices of avocado on top. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo..Im totally gonna try this with avocado now! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete